Chicken sandwiches are one of the most popular and versatile dishes in the world. They can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack, and they can be customized with different breads, sauces, toppings, and sides. They are also easy to make, satisfying, and delicious.
But what if you are vegan or vegetarian? What if you want to enjoy a chicken sandwich without harming any animals or compromising your health? Is it possible to make a vegan chicken sandwich that tastes just as good as the real thing?
The answer is yes! You can make amazing vegan chicken sandwiches that are crispy, juicy, flavorful, and satisfying. All you need are some simple ingredients, a few tricks, and a lot of creativity.
In this blog post, I will show you how to make the best vegan chicken sandwich ever, using oyster mushrooms as the main ingredient. Oyster mushrooms are a great choice for vegan chicken because they have a meaty texture and a neutral taste that can absorb any marinade or seasoning. They are also easy to find, affordable, and nutritious.
You will also learn how to make a delicious vegan tikka masala sauce that will add some spice and creaminess to your sandwich. This sauce is inspired by the Indian dish of chicken tikka masala, which is made with yogurt and spices. You will use coconut milk instead of yogurt, and a ready-made tikka masala spice blend that you can find in any grocery store or online.
By following these simple steps, you will be able to create your own vegan chicken sandwich that will impress your friends and family. Whether you are vegan or not, you will love this recipe and want to make it again and again. If you like this recipe, make sure you check out these mouth watering Gluten-free pumpkin banana muffins.
Are you ready to get started? Let’s go! 😊
For the oyster mushrooms:
- 500 g of oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup of vegan chicken broth
- 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of poultry seasoning
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of plant-based milk
- Cooking oil spray
For the vegan tikka masala sauce:
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch of ginger, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of tikka masala spice blend (or tandoori masala or garam masala)
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of cumin
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and sugar to taste
For the vegan chicken sandwich:
- Sandwich buns (gluten-free if needed)
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Lettuce leaves
I hope this helps you make your own vegan chicken sandwich. Enjoy! 😋
Instructions To Make Your Own Vegan Chicken Sandwich
Step 1: Prepare the oyster mushrooms
Cut off the end of their stem and tear them into small shreds with your hands. This will make them look more like chicken and remove the tough part of the stem. You can use any type of oyster mushrooms, but pearl oysters are ideal because they have a similar shape and size to chicken tenders.
Step 2: Marinate the oyster mushrooms
Whisk together vegan chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the oyster mushrooms and toss them well to coat them with the marinade. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight. This will give them a chicken-like flavor and make them more tender and juicy.
Step 3: Coat the oyster mushrooms
Set up two shallow plates: one with all-purpose flour and one with plant-based milk. Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip each piece of oyster mushroom first in the flour, then in the milk, and then in the flour again. Shake off any excess flour and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the oyster mushrooms. This will create a crispy crust that will contrast with the tender inside.
Step 4: Bake the oyster mushrooms
Spray them lightly with some cooking oil and bake them in the oven for 25 minutes, flipping them halfway through. They should be golden and crispy on both sides. The cooking oil will help them brown better and prevent them from sticking to the parchment paper.
Step 5: Make the vegan tikka masala sauce
Heat some oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté some minced garlic, ginger, and onion until soft. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, coconut milk, tikka masala spice blend (or tandoori masala or garam masala), turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and sugar and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer it for 15 minutes or until thickened. This will create a rich and creamy sauce that has a balance of sweet, sour, spicy, and savory flavors.
Step 6: Assemble the vegan chicken sandwich
Toast some sandwich buns and spread some vegan mayonnaise on both sides. Place some lettuce leaves on the bottom bun and top them with two pieces of baked oyster mushroom. Spoon some of the vegan tikka masala sauce over the oyster mushroom and cover it with the top bun. Repeat with the rest of the buns and enjoy! The sandwich buns will be more crispy and warm, the vegan mayonnaise will add some creaminess and tanginess, and the lettuce leaves will add some freshness and crunch to your vegan chicken sandwich.
Tips and Tricks
- You can experiment with different types of oyster mushrooms, such as king oyster, blue oyster, or pink oyster to make your vegan chicken sandwich. They have different shapes, sizes, and textures, and they might give your sandwich a different look and feel.
- You can also try different types of marinades, such as barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, or buffalo sauce. They will give your oyster mushrooms a different flavor and color, and you can match them with different sauces and toppings.
- You can make your own vegan mayonnaise by blending some silken tofu, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and oil. It will be cheaper and healthier than store-bought vegan mayonnaise, and you can adjust the taste and consistency to your liking.
- You can add some extra crunch to your sandwich by adding some sliced cucumber, carrot, radish, or cabbage. They will also add some freshness and color to your sandwich, and you can pickle them for more flavor.
- You can make your vegan chicken sandwich more filling and nutritious by adding some cooked chickpeas, lentils, or beans to your sauce. They will add some protein and fiber to your vegan chicken sandwich, and they will also thicken your sauce.
In this blog post, you learned how to make the best vegan chicken sandwich ever, using oyster mushrooms as the main ingredient. You also learned how to make a delicious vegan tikka masala sauce that will add some spice and creaminess to your sandwich. You followed these simple steps:
- Prepare the oyster mushrooms by cutting off the end of their stem and tearing them into small shreds with your hands.
- Marinate the oyster mushrooms in a mixture of vegan chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Coat the oyster mushrooms in flour and plant-based milk and bake them in the oven for 25 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- Make the vegan tikka masala sauce by sautéing some minced garlic, ginger, and onion and adding some tomato paste, tomato sauce, coconut milk, tikka masala spice blend (or tandoori masala or garam masala), turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and sugar and simmering it for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Assemble the vegan chicken sandwich by toasting some sandwich buns and spreading some vegan mayonnaise on both sides. Place some lettuce leaves on the bottom bun and top them with two pieces of baked oyster mushroom. Spoon some of the vegan tikka masala sauce over the oyster mushroom and cover it with the top bun.
You also got some tips and tricks to improve your vegan chicken sandwich, such as experimenting with different types of oyster mushrooms, marinades, sauces, toppings, and sides.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and found it helpful. If you did, please share it with your friends and family who might also love vegan chicken sandwich. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know in the comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking! 😊
What are the benefits of eating vegan chicken sandwiches?
Eating vegan chicken sandwich can have many benefits for your health, the environment, and the animals. Some of the benefits are:
- You can avoid consuming cholesterol, hormones, antibiotics, and other harmful substances that are found in animal products.
- You can reduce your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and some types of cancer by eating more plant-based foods.
- You can save water, land, energy, and greenhouse gas emissions by choosing vegan alternatives over animal products.
- You can prevent animal suffering and cruelty by not supporting the meat industry.
Where can I find oyster mushrooms and other ingredients for this recipe?
You can find oyster mushrooms and other ingredients for this recipe in most grocery stores, health food stores, or online shops. You can also grow your own oyster mushrooms at home with some kits or supplies. Some of the ingredients that you might need to look for are:
- Vegan chicken broth or bouillon cubes
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- Poultry seasoning or a blend of herbs and spices
- Nutritional yeast or a vegan cheese alternative
- Tikka masala spice blend or tandoori masala or garam masala
- Vegan mayonnaise or a homemade version
How can I store and reheat the vegan chicken sandwich?
You can store and reheat the vegan chicken sandwich in different ways depending on your preference. Some of the options are:
- You can store the baked oyster mushrooms and the vegan tikka masala sauce separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot and crispy. You can also toast the sandwich buns and assemble the sandwich with fresh lettuce and vegan mayonnaise.
- You can store the assembled sandwich in a ziplock bag or a reusable container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. You can reheat it in the oven or in a toaster oven until warm and crispy. You might need to add some extra sauce or vegan mayonnaise if it is too dry.
Can I use other types of mushrooms instead of oyster mushrooms to make this vegan chicken sandwich?
Yes, you can use other types of mushrooms instead of oyster mushrooms for this recipe, as long as they have a similar texture and flavor. Some of the mushrooms that you can try are:
- Portobello mushrooms: They are large and meaty, and they can be sliced or chopped into smaller pieces. They have a mild and earthy flavor that can go well with any marinade or sauce.
- Shiitake mushrooms: They are medium-sized and chewy, and they can be stemmed and sliced or torn into smaller pieces. They have a rich and smoky flavor that can add some depth to your sandwich.
- Button mushrooms: They are small and tender, and they can be halved or quartered depending on their size. They have a subtle and nutty flavor that can blend well with any marinade or sauce.
What are some other sauces that I can use for this vegan chicken sandwich besides the vegan tikka masala sauce?
You can use any sauce that you like for this sandwich, as long as it complements the flavor and texture of the oyster mushrooms. Some of the sauces that you can try are:
- Vegan ranch dressing: It is a creamy and tangy sauce that is made with vegan mayonnaise, plant-based milk, lemon juice, garlic, onion, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper. It will add some freshness and herbiness to your sandwich.
- Vegan barbecue sauce: It is a sweet and smoky sauce that is made with tomato sauce, molasses, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, liquid smoke, garlic, onion, paprika, mustard, salt, and pepper. It will add some sweetness and spiciness to your sandwich.
- Vegan cheese sauce: It is a cheesy and gooey sauce that is made with cashews, nutritional yeast, plant-based milk, lemon juice, garlic, onion, turmeric, salt, and pepper. It will add some cheesiness and creaminess to your sandwich.
How can I make this vegan chicken sandwich gluten-free?
You can make this sandwich gluten-free by using some gluten-free alternatives for the ingredients that contain gluten. Some of the alternatives that you can use are:
- Gluten-free flour: You can use any gluten-free flour that works well for baking, such as rice flour, oat flour, almond flour, or coconut flour. You might need to adjust the amount of flour and plant-based milk depending on the type of flour you use.
- Gluten-free bread: You can use any gluten-free bread that suits your taste and preference, such as brown rice bread, buckwheat bread, quinoa bread, or corn bread. You might need to toast them longer or shorter depending on the type of bread you use.
- Gluten-free Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce: You can use any gluten-free Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce to make this vegan chicken sandwich that has a similar flavor and consistency to the regular ones. You can also make your own by mixing some water, apple cider vinegar, tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), molasses, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, ginger powder.